Greetings to all our esteemed faculty members at The Catholic University of America! As we kickstart a new semester, we at the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE), are excited to support you in your journey towards instructional innovation and teaching excellence.
At CTE, we offer a plethora of services designed to assist you in your teaching endeavors. These include one-on-one consultations, coaching, class observations, workshops, book clubs, online resources, social events, and more. Additionally, we provide a faculty fellowship program that grants full-time faculty a stipend to partner with us on specific projects, such as researching artificial intelligence in Catholic education or creating innovative instructional materials.
One of the key principles we advocate is the adoption of a growth mindset toward teaching. We believe that teaching is an ongoing journey of learning and development. With the ever-changing global trends, challenges, and technological advancements, the needs of students today are significantly different from those of just a few years ago. It is crucial to remain adaptable and innovative in our teaching approaches to prepare students for an unpredictable future. While teaching can sometimes feel isolating, CTE is here to facilitate the exchange of ideas, assist in navigating concerns and challenges, celebrate successes, and provide guidance on becoming the best educator possible.
Moreover, we encourage the implementation of various impactful teaching strategies at the start of the semester. These include establishing transparent expectations (including grading and feedback mechanisms), which help manage students' expectations and reduce anxiety; and fostering a sense of community, which can lead to a more positive and collaborative learning environment. Below are some CTE resources that you might find helpful:
- Scripting a Welcome Video
- Course Orientation Questions
- Establishing a Positive Classroom Climate - In Person
- Establishing a Positive Classroom Climate - Online Classes
- Start of Semester Checklist
- Cardinal Learn Blackboard Course Setup
We understand that the start of a new semester can be overwhelming. We want to ensure you have all the support you need at the beginning and throughout the semester. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. You can email us at email@example.com or use the CTE service request form. We are here to help!
Welcoming New Faculty Members
We are thrilled to warmly welcome 30 new faculty members who have recently joined the Catholic University community! Over two days, our team had the privilege of meeting these exceptional individuals during the new faculty orientation, an initiative designed to integrate them into our community and familiarize them with the resources and support available.
The orientation culminated in a memorable reception at Busboys and Poets, where Provost Aaron Dominguez and President Peter Kilpatrick graciously joined us. It was a fantastic opportunity for the new faculty to interact with the University's leadership and establish connections with their new colleagues.
We are incredibly excited about the diverse talents and perspectives that our new faculty members bring to the table. Their contributions will undoubtedly enrich our University and positively impact our students:
- Alessandro Vato, Associate Professor, Engineering / Biomedical
- Beatriz Lopez-Bonetti, Assistant Professor, Busch School of Business
- Bianca Adair, Assistant Professor of Practice, Arts & Sciences / Politics
- Carlos Yero, Assistant Professor, Arts & Sciences / Physics
- Daniel Findikyan, Research Ordinary Professor, Theology & Religious Studies
- Dominick Rizk, Assistant Professor, Engineering / EECS
- Ellen Hussain, Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor, Arts & Sciences / Education
- Fr. Bonaventure Chapman, OP, Assistant Professor, Philosophy
- Fr. Robert Gahl, Associate Professor of Practice, Busch School of Business
- Francisco Lara, Visiting Scholar, Busch School of Business
- Greg Monahan, Assistant Professor of Practice, Busch School of Business
- Jacklyn Beck, Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor, Arts & Sciences / Education
- Jeffrey Herrmann, Ordinary Professor, Engineering / Mechanical
- Jeremy Specland, Postdoctoral Fellow, Arts & Sciences / English
- Juan Tello Mendoza, Visiting Assistant Professor, Columbus School of Law
- Lucas Wall, Assistant Professor of Practice, Busch School of Business
- Maria Fernandez, Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor, Arts & Sciences, Modern Languages and Literatures
- Martha Scheckel, Associate Professor, Conway School of Nursing
- Mary (Cari) Selzer, Clinical Assistant Professor, Conway School of Nursing
- Mary Dixon, Clinical Assistant Professor, Conway School of Nursing
- Maura Wenzel, Clinical Associate, Conway School of Nursing
- Michael Promisel, Assistant Professor, Arts & Sciences / Politics
- Msgr. William J. King, Assistant Professor, Canon Law
- Nathan Tilley, Visiting Assistant Professor, Arts & Sciences / Semitics
- Santiago Solares, Ordinary Professor, Engineering / Mechanical
- Sarah Gustafson, Assistant Professor, Arts & Sciences / Politics
- Shanna Fortune, Clinical Assistant Professor, Conway School of Nursing
- Steven Waldorf, Assistant Professor, Philosophy
- Tracy Phillips, Visiting Assistant Professor, Busch School of Business
- Will Kamin, Assistant Professor, Columbus School of Law
Let's embrace the new semester with enthusiasm, adaptability, and a commitment to excellence. Together, we can create a meaningful and impactful educational experience for all.
Best wishes for a successful and rewarding semester!
Angela McRae, Ph.D.
Associate Vice Provost for Instructional Innovation
Director of the Center for Teaching Excellence
Enjoy a slideshow from our new faculty orientation and reception: