A professor is lecturing in a classroom

As graduate assistants, we have been introduced to several instructional strategies that have enhanced our learning and instructional practices. The following strategies can serve as helpful tools for instructors to foster enhanced student engagement and deep understanding of course content.

Limited Lecture (Katharine)

When I took an elective course, I was apprehensive because the content would be unfamiliar. I was unsure whether I could absorb the new content from my textbooks alone. Luckily, my instructor used class time not only for lectures on the required readings from the textbook, but also for an opportunity to interact with other students through activities that put the text into practical context. I was unaware, at the time, that this instructional strategy is referred to as active learning with limited lecture time.

Designating class time for active learning, with less time for lectures, has been shown to be an effective instructional strategy that increases student engagement and improves performance (Shoufan, 2020). Instructors can implement limited lecture by using class sessions to facilitate interaction between students, replacing or supplementing lectures on course readings. This can be done by collecting students’ written reflections on course material, or through a class discussion, which encourages students to incorporate their own related examples or experiences into the content, or through an in-class activity that demonstrates what they have learned from the readings.

I have used this strategy by asking students to engage in small group discussions without my involvement. I have also incorporated this strategy by asking students to write questions related to course content and exchange their questions with a classmate, so they can help each other deepen their understanding.

Direct Instruction (James)

I found direct instruction to be helpful because sometimes, it is good to have the educator model a skill for the students, perform the task together as a class, and then have the individual student attempt the task themselves (Dignath et al., 2021). When I was a junior in college, one of my history professors modeled how to write proper Chicago in-text and works cited citations for our semester paper. He gave us a worksheet that had different sources written on it, and we had to write the proper citation, and then we corrected them afterwards if there were any mistakes. I later used this exact strategy at my practicum with 6th-grade students when they were learning MLA format, and the students were very engaged. This showed me that direct instruction can create a productive rapport between the instructor and the students because then the students will know that the instructor is there to help them, especially if there is scaffolding throughout the lesson.

There are practical ways one can implement direct-instruction strategies in the classroom. For example, using the “I do, we do, you do” method is very effective in lessons where a specific skill is being taught. At times, it can be helpful for students to see a skill modeled to them before trying it themselves. For example, in mathematics classes, the professor can model how to solve a specific type of equation before doing it with the class and having the students do it themselves. This strategy can be used in the humanities as well. Instructors in this field can model how to write proper citations or how to effectively analyze a textual source. The strategy of “think-alouds”, based on the idea of Concept-Oriented Reading Instruction (CORI), is immensely helpful as well (Guthrie & Klauda 2014). Through this strategy, the instructor models the thinking process that is needed to complete a complex task, whether it is analyzing a source or writing an essay. The strategies formed from the method of CORI are practical ways to adopt direct instruction in a lesson.

Student Autonomy (James)

Being given freedom of choice in what I would do for a project or what I would write about in an essay (all while still being linked to the main subject of a course) has helped me gain more confidence in my learning. I was able to adapt my creative and writing abilities into work that felt more meaningful to me while also demonstrating my understanding of the material. Furthermore, I found that having students create the rubric for an assessment or the question for an essay (such as with a research paper) helps develop one's research skills and metacognition. Finally, I was taught ways to manage large amounts of work by choosing how to organize my time and balance my tasks wisely.

Integrating ways to foster student autonomy in learning is a helpful way to keep students motivated in a course. As an instructor, I intend to allow students to use their personal abilities to demonstrate their understanding of the topic I teach. I also believe in giving autonomy when it comes to goal-setting, which can help students to be more motivated to do their work (Cheung, 2004; Mikami, 2020). However, helping students reach a certain level of autonomy through the strategy of spacing and high structure (Lang, 2021) can reap many benefits. Giving students the space to organize their time themselves while also providing firm deadlines and goalposts for major assignments can motivate students to be more efficient in their work. There are several paths that can lead to the same destination, and that is the mindset I will have with my students.

Flipped Classroom (Katharine)

I first encountered the concept of a flipped classroom in a course that was geared toward independent study, so that each student could use the course content as guidance for our research papers. We used the week preparing for class by digesting the assigned course readings. Rather than reviewing the readings when we met for class, we discussed how they applied to our specific research. This instructional approach mirrors the flipped classroom, which combines asynchronous learning outside of class with in-person learning. This consolidation provides a student-centered environment that enables students to show how they individually master course content, and how they apply it to their own practical skills (Banini, 2021; Rothman, 2022).

I have used the flipped classroom to prepare students for large projects, such as conducting a literature review for a research paper. For example, students complete an annotated bibliography or a literature synthesis matrix during class time by filling out an interactive electronic form. Students form research questions to prepare them for searching for scholarly articles related to their paper topics prior to class, and then sort and combine themes and main ideas from articles during class time. By flipping the classroom, students have completed the coursework independently through the forms, which serves as a learning activity. The actual research and writing, which would normally be considered homework, is done during class. The flipped classroom is also helpful, specifically in online instruction, because students can view recorded lectures prior to class and use class meetings for questions or discussions that build on students’ understanding of the content (Rothman, 2022).

Conclusion

It is immensely important and helpful for professors to learn about different instructional strategies they can use in their classrooms. Some strategies may be more effective than others, depending on your classroom context. This includes class size, the number of students with accommodations, and the subject matter. As instructors, our goal is to design and implement the most effective strategies for our students’ educational benefit.

As educators in formation, we are immensely thankful to the Center for Teaching Excellence for helping us deepen our understanding of pedagogy. Our experiences through our collaboration with our team and our courses here at Catholic University will serve us in our careers. We will continue to emulate Catholic University’s goal to be a light in the world, specifically through educating future generations. Our goal is to make positive changes in the world, starting with ideas and beliefs that have been anchored in us through our pedagogical experiences at the Center for Teaching Excellence.

References

Banini, J. (2021). The flipped remote classroom in colleges and universities. The French Review, 94(3), 57–62. (CUA Library Permalink)

Cheung, E. (2004). Goal setting as a motivational tool in student's self-regulated learning. Educational Research Quarterly, 27(3), 3-9. (CUA Library Permalink)

Dignath, C., Veenman, M.V.J. (2021). The role of direct strategy instruction and indirect activation of self-regulated learning - Evidence from classroom observation studies. Educational Psychology Review, 33,489–533. (CUA Library Permalink)

Guthrie, J. T., & Klauda, S. L. (2014). Effects of classroom practices on reading comprehension, engagement, and motivations for adolescents. Reading Research Quarterly, 49(4), 387–416. (CUA Library Permalink)

Mikami, Y. (2020). Goal setting and learners’ motivation for extensive reading: Forming a virtuous cycle. Reading in a Foreign Language, 32(1), 28-48. (CUA Library Permalink)

Rothman, S. B. (2022). An examination of student preferences and learning outcomes in flipped classroom with online videos. Journal of Political Science Education, 18(4), 605–613. (CUA Library Permalink)

Shoufan, A. (2020). Lecture-free classroom: Fully active learning on Moodle. IEEE Transactions on Education, 63(4), 314–321. (CUA Library Permalink)

__________

Katharine Carter, Ph. D., served as a graduate assistant at CTE during the 2023-2024 academic year. She earned her doctoral degree in Social Work from Catholic University and is currently an adjunct faculty member at the National Catholic School of Social Service.

James Dolley, M.A., was a graduate assistant at CTE during the 2023-2024 academic year. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in History and a Master's degree in Secondary Education from Catholic University. James is a History and French teacher.